Problem Gambling Alliance – Report: Viewable at http://www.ksgamblinghelp.com
Kansas Coalition on Problem Gambling – Report: Viewable at http://ksproblemgambling.org
The group is allowed to post our meeting information and minutes on the website.
Financial Report: Group is still carrying a balance of $4700 that can be used for our efforts. Financial Report is attached.
- Public Relations/Marketing: Jane Longmeyer spoke that they were able to put a simple brochure out on the table at the AMBUCS show the week before. She brought in the Proclamation that was signed by the mayor at the Tuesday meeting.
- Political advocacy: Update the group with a list of duties to include the changes that were requested in the feedback from the group. Debbie Snapp spoke to there being a shift in the new legislature that is starting to push the 2% dollars towards the gambling zones specifically.
- Funding: The committee is going to apply for a $10,000 mini grant that is being offered out of the 2% fund that can hopefully allow us to broaden our efforts within the communities. There is a meeting being held on March 30th that will tell everyone how to fill out the grant forms and a consensus was reached that we need to send someone to this meeting. Cindy Jacobs said that she was unable to attend the meeting, but Frances thought that she might be going. Cindy also said that she would be putting together a task list similar to the one submitted by the other groups for the next meeting.
- Education: Jane suggested that we needed a powerpoint presentation to be used for the group and speakers that were willing to do the presentation. Debbie spoke that we had Sharon was able to get a PSA set up for the local radio stations with Jean Holthaus’ help. She spoke to a bulletin board that she created that can be used for meetings and asked for feedback of things that need to be changed. Ethel suggested that we increase the fonts and Cindy thought maybe it was too busy. Cindy also suggested that we add our mission statement to the board prior to completion. Dave Geist suggested he use the board at the upcoming Senior Expo at the Civic Center on April 28th, which the group agreed. It was further suggested that the board be changed to reflect a more senior theme and include the Sage training information. already trained several presenters at great cost to the group and hoped that they would step forward to do the presentations when requested.
- Special Events: Kerry Kaiser said that the group had nothing further to report at this time.
- Data Collection: Debbie talked to Jean Holthaus about collecting information for the group. It was decided that there was no real answer at this point, but Jean does think it is important. Debbie stated that she thinks that the providers are starting to get anecdotes already. Cindy Jacobs asked if we should be distributing a template that allows for uniform questioning and information gathering. Debbie agreed that she thinks this is a good idea and asked Cindy to get with Kevin Ford to see if one could be created. Once this data is collected, we will be able to distribute it to whomever needs it. Debbie went on to speak about receiving a call from someone because of her involvement at the legislative coffee, but at this point that person wishes to not be contacted, so she is simply sitting out there until Debbie gets contacted again.
- Problem Gambling Specialist: It was announced that Frances Waldren was given the position and had already started the job. She will work even closer in conjunction with the Task Force. She will be housed in the SRS office.
- SRS Mini Grants: There was further discussion on the grants that are available for other things besides the task force. Debbie Snapp spoke to the idea that Area Mental Health and New Chance may want to consider applying for a $5,000 grant that is being offered as well.
- KCGC Training: Mark Blakeslee is conducting classes at the Dodge City Community College and currently only has 1 person in the class. He would like to have at least 4 if possible.
Members Present: The following members were present at the meeting.
- Debbie Snapp
- Kerry Kaiser
- Sharon Erickson
- Jane Longmeyer
- Frances Walden
- Cindy Jabobs
- Dave Geist
- Ethel Schneweis
- Teresa Stuart
- Juanita Sanchez
Next Meeting: The next meeting will be held on the 2nd Thursday in April, 4/14/11. Meeting was then adjourned.