Problem Gambling Alliance – Report: Viewable at http://www.ksgamblinghelp.com
Kansas Coalition on Problem Gambling – Report: Viewable at http://ksproblemgambling.org
A handout was given of meeting notes from a meeting held by the Public Awareness Committee of activities planned for the National Problem Gambling Awareness Week as well as a sample of the proclamation that will adapted by the group.
Financial Report: No Financial Report
- Public Relations/Marketing: Frances Walden handed out a new listing of tasks for their committee. It is a narrow down version that compiles their suggestions into a more manageable listing. Debbie Snapp asked where they were going from there and Frances stated that they needed guidance from the group to see what was needed to be done first. Jane stated that they needed to create a brochure to advertise what the group is, but wondered whether Jean or Carol would need to review this first. Debbie also felt that the speaker’s bureau would be an important first step and stated that she would get them a listing of possibilities. It was decided that these would be the top 2 priorities for the group. It needs to be determined who from the list would be willing to do the training as well.
- Political advocacy: Debbie Snapp went to the legislative coffee and spoke of her concerns about the allocation of the 2% funds. She spoke to wanting to ensure the funds were distributed in SW Kansas. She knows from Jean Holthaus that there are others that have similar concerns, like the mayor of Mulvane. Frances asked whether the group was receptive and Debbie stated that they were and that all 3 legislature representatives expressed concerns as well. They told her to write a letter to the new SRS Secretary voicing these concerns to them.
- Funding: No meeting held for group.
- Education: Sharon Erickson talked about the Youth/Sage/Urgent Challenge trainings being continued as a priority for the group as well as trying to get an assembly at a school setup for a presentation to the students. She also spoke about plans to attend health fairs, making public service announcements, having a banner made, and outreach development for communities. Debbie voiced concerns about the number of things presented and urged them to focus on a couple of things important to the group first.
- Special Events: Kerry Kaiser reiterated that the committee was waiting on the other groups to decide what events they wanted to host and work from there.
Jane Longmeyer spoke about a home and leisure show being held March 4th and 5th and that Dodge City already has a booth. She stated that we could put out the brochures for the group or maybe a sheet telling about the group as a whole. It was decided to create a brochure to have for the show.
Discussion was started over whether or not we would be doing the proclamation for the National Problem Gambling Awareness Week. It was soon decided that we should do so. Jane spoke to the dates available for the next meetings being February 21st or March 8th. Although the 8th was during the week, it was decided to attend this meeting for the signing of the proclamation by the mayor. Jane volunteered to put it together on the correct paper and Debbie stated she would be available to attend the signing on the 8th at 7pm. She then asked for others to attend and said she would send out an invitation to the group. Further discussion followed about what else we wanted to do to recognize the week. Sharon volunteered to see if she could get some public service announcements on local radio stations and she agreed to check with Alma to see if we could get them done in Spanish as well.
- Debbie Snapp
- Kerry Kaiser
- Patrick Klecker
- Sharon Erickson
- Jane Longmeyer
- Frances Walden
Next Meeting: The next meeting will be held on the 2nd Thursday in March, 3/10/11. Meeting was then adjourned.