Members present by phone: Meeting conducted through Google Meet.
Call to order and approve agenda: Amy Falcon.
Review and Approval of Minutes: The minutes were approved.
Fiscal agent Financial Report: The financial report was not available for the meeting.
Agenda Item 1: Public Awareness: Amy led a discussion regarding Problem Gambling Awareness month. There are radio ads, social media posts, KWCH television and digital ads as well as hand sanitizers being given away at the casino.
Agenda Item 2: Membership: There are no new members at this time. Amy had recruitment packets available for task force members to take with them.
Agenda Item 3: Education: Nothing to report.
Agenda Item 4: Data Collection: Nothing to report.
Agenda Item 5: KDADS update: Juan reported the following from KDADS:
- The Midwest Conference on Problem Gambling and Substance Abuse has gone to a virtual format and will be on June 16th and 17th. In the past, the task forces were capped at being able to send 3 people. This year, we are opening it up for more attend. Whatever is not used for the conference from amount budgeted can be shifted to another line item.
- The amount of people who can attend the National Conference on Problem Gambling has usually been capped at 2. The task forces will be able to send up to 3.
- The task forces are encouraged to keep up on their CCB entries, quarterly reports, and fiscal reporting. Email reminders will be sent as needed.
- The Kansas Prevention Collaborative website has been updated. The link to order problem gambling materials are on the home page. Anyone who needs materials is encouraged to do so through the website: https://kansaspreventioncollaborative.org/
- On Friday, May 14th from 9am-12pm, the Kansas Coalition on Problem Gambling will bring in national expert Julie Hynes to discuss youth gambling and gaming. The training will be free of charge.
- The recordings of the trainings on the financial aspects of problem gambling by Dr. Esther Maddux are available now:
- The task forces are encouraged to report of any Problem Gambling Awareness Month activities so as to gain recognition at https://www.ncpgambling.org/pgam-events/
- Sports betting legislation: HB 2199 was introduced February 3rd but has had no movement since the February 18th hearings. SB 84 was amended on March 3rd and passed in the full Senate. HB 2199 allows sports wagering at certain Lottery retailers also. There was an addition of a provision for 2% of gaming facility revenue to be paid to the Problem Gambling and other Addictions Fund, specifically earmarked to use only for the awarding of grants to provide direct treatment, research funding, prevention and recovery for the residents of Kansas. Monies in PGAF shall also be used to fund a helpline with text and chat capabilities. This language doesn’t exist in HB 2199. The $80K annual contribution from the Lottery was increased to $100K. Both bills create a white-collar crime fund with an annual deposit of $750K administered by the governor. One must be physically in Kansas to place a wager. HB 2199 also allows iLottery while SB 84 does not. Both bills have a self-exclusion clause.
- The Governor’s Behavioral Health Services Planning Council approved the charter for a problem gambling sub-committee. If you would like to participate or know of anyone who would, please contact Carol at firstname.lastname@example.org
Old Business: Amy led a discussion regarding advertising on the sports radio station. Christa Roy provided information regarding the cost. She was able to negotiate free ads as well. It was decided to move forward with advertising on this radio station.
New Business: A discussion was held regarding the Midwest Conference as well as the National Conference. The early bird rate is 225.00 until May 25, 2021 for the Midwest Conference. After that the cost is 250.00. The conference will be held virtually on June 16th and 17th of 2021. More information will be coming regarding registration for the National Conference.
Christa Roy led a discussion regarding the Spring Fling event to be held on April 17th and 18th at the Village Square Mall. The task force agreed to pay 100.00 for a booth at this event. Christa will set up and man the booth. Amy Falcon will provide the hand outs and giveaways for the booth.
Next Meeting Reminder: April 8, 2021
Time of Adjournment: 2:30 p.m.